- Additional Common Names:
- Peacock Flower, Barbados Pride, Poinciana, Pride of Barbados
- Scientific Name:
- Caesalpinia gilliesii
- Alternate Scientific Name:
- Poinciana gilliesii
- Toxic to Dogs, Toxic to Cats
- Toxic Principles:
- possibly hydrocyanic acid
- Clinical Signs:
- Oral irritation, intense burning and irritation of mouth, tongue and lips, excessive drooling, vomiting, diarrhea, difficulty swallowing and incoordination is possible. Deaths in rabbits have been reported.
If your pet ingested this plant, contact your local veterinarian or the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center at 888-426-4435.*
* A $65 consultation fee may apply.
Should not be confused with the less toxic Strelitzia reginae