How to Get Involved in the $100K Challenge
So, the $100K Challenge may be a shelter competition, but its essential ingredient is public participation, and we need your help! Check out the top five ways you can help cats and dogs take home the gold in this year’s contest.
1. April 5-16: Vote for your favorite shelter in the qualifying heat. For the second year in a row, applicants will duke it out for one of 50 spots in the $100K Challenge. That’s where you come in! Starting April 5, you will get to vote for the shelter that is near and dear to your heart—or your zip code!
2. May-July: Volunteer for your shelter contestant. Once contestants find out whether they made the cut (on April 17), they will need some serious people-power to help them kick butt during the three month contest. Whether you’re an expert dog walker, photographer or event planner, your skills WILL be needed…guaranteed.
3. August 3-5: Attend a Challenge kick-off event. Every year competing shelters pull out all the stops to kick off the Challenge with a bang. The goal? To clock big adoption numbers, get the community psyched to save lives, and have fun! Check back in July, when we will announce details about kick-off parties across the country.
4. August-October: Make pet adoption your first option! Okay, admittedly, this is something you should do all the time, but during the months of the contest, it’s key. After all, the contestant that adopts out lots and lots of animals during August, September and October will take home the $100K grand prize.
5. August-October Spread the word. Whether you’re sharing your favorite contestant’s adoptable animals on Facebook (hashtag #ASPCA100K) or flyering your ‘hood with event posters, it’s time to say it loud and say it proud. Tell everyone you know that your local shelter is in the running for $100K and encourage them to adopt a cat or dog…stat!
For more ideas about how to help homeless pets year round, check out our top 10 ways to help your local shelter.