Director of Major Gifts and Planned Giving, Florida and Gulf States
- Development & Communications
- Miami FL
The Director of Major Gifts and Planned Giving, Florida and Gulf States is a member of the ASPCA’s major gifts team and a crucial contributor to the effort to build the Major Gifts department into a sustained multi-million dollar program. Director of Major Gifts and Planned Giving, Florida and Gulf States will be directly responsible for the cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of up to 180 major gifts and planned giving prospects in the specified region, and will play a leading role in cross-departmental efforts to develop those prospects through web communications, direct mail, special events, and more. In addition, the Director will co-supervise the team’s Major Gift Coordinator. The Director of Major Gifts is an integral member of the thought leadership team that develops a strategic vision and implementation plan for the continued development and growth of major giving to the ASPCA, with special emphasis on integrating the major gifts and planned giving teams.
This is a remote position to be based in Miami, Florida.
- In coordination with the VP, Philanthropy, prepare and implement a strategic plan for the cultivation and solicitation of an assigned portfolio of up to 180 Major Donor and Planned Giving prospects with the potential to make $10,000+ annual gifts, multi-year pledges and/or planned gifts.
- Achieve annual revenue goal and assist in meeting departmental and campaign goals.
- Increase the quality of major and planned gifts relationships through networking and cultivation.
- Manage correspondence and proposals to major and planned gifts prospects in portfolio prioritizing donor interactions appropriately and ensuring that all related major and planned gifts requests are closed on schedule.
- Conduct visits and other high-level interactions with prospects, documenting actions as appropriate.
- In coordination with the VP, Philanthropy arrange visits to select high-level donor prospects on behalf of the ASPCA’s CEO, member of the Board of Directors, or other senior leadership.
- Collaborate with other development staff to strengthen major gifts and planned giving strategies, enhance creative approaches to upgrading select donors, and identify other creative opportunities to enhance the ASPCA’s relationship with its major and planned donors.
- Coordinate and manage a minimum of two-three donor-hosted events nationally each year, with a focus on expanding outreach and prospect pools.
- In coordination with the Counsel, Trusts & Estates and Planned Giving, create comprehensive strategic plan for identification, cultivation and stewardship of planned giving prospects in Florida, including recognition events and estate planning seminars.
- As necessary, serve on strategic planning teams for special campaigns and other major organizational initiatives.
- Assist in team goal setting and expense management.
- Ability to travel approximately 25% of the year.
- Co-manage Major Gifts Coordinator in his/her role as logistics and research assistant to the major gifts department.
- Bachelors degree, Advanced degree a significant plus
- 5 to 7 years of non-profit development experience preferred, at least 5 years of both major gifts and planned giving preferred
- Familiarity with all aspects of fundraising principles and practices; knowledge of annual giving/direct mail and planned giving particularly important
- Demonstrated ability to cultivate individuals, successfully solicit gifts of $100,000 and above, and ability to steward major gifts
- Knowledge of planned giving and estate planning
- Demonstrated ability to successfully solicit planned gifts
- Familiarity with personnel management and best practices management procedures
- Ability to work independently and particularly to formulate creative strategies for major gifts and planned giving advancement
- Annual gift and planned gift cultivation and solicitation experience.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including ability to communicate effectively and professionally with executive staff and board members and to build productive relationships with major gifts and planned giving prospects.
- Commitment to goal attainment, high degree of initiative, and ability to motivate and engage high level volunteers and donors.
- Demonstrated ability to work with high degree of autonomy and accountability and to be a team player.
- Ability to develop and follow through on creative and effective solicitation strategies and to generate enthusiasm for them among team members.
- Excellent time management and prioritization skills.
- Strong interest in animal welfare and/or familiarity with Florida philanthropic circles preferred.
Our generous benefit package includes the following for full-time employees and (if qualified, we offer domestic partner coverage!) Medical, Dental, Vision, STD, LTD, 401(k), Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA), Transit checks, Tuition Assistance Program, Training Seminars, EAP, 50% Animal hospital discount, Vacation, Sick, Personal & Company Holiday time off.